Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Cons Of Infatuation

Among the many things that enthralled and enchanted us in Tokyo was the clean and effiencient and punctual transit system. So, it was a bit of a shock to hear of the accident a few days after we returned home near Osaka. And as this NYT article explains (Registration required), the very facets we loved about the transit system were underlying causes of this accident.
I probably have said this so many times by now, but I don't think I can adequately describe what a pleasure Public Transit was in Tokyo compared to Philly. I guess it's kinda like treating a man to a fliet mignon at Ruth's Chris Steak House one night after he's been eating gruel all his life. Coming from a system with an average of 9 minute delays to a system with an average of less than one, you'll forgive me if I hope that this accident does not impact that precision too harshly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home