Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I'm Not Wild About Harriet

Clearly, the nomination of Harriet Miers is a turning point downward for this Presidency. The President insists she the best person qualified for the job, when given the list of sitting Federal judges he passed on, clearly she is not. I'd really like to know what world the President is living in, that he thinks a lawyer with no practical or theoretical experience with constitutional law is eminently more qualified than several sitting federal judges. Hell, if that's the case, you might as well nominate me, especially as I've actually debated and written about constitutional issues before, I'm no expert, but that doesn't matter now does it?
And no it doesn't reassure me at all when James Dobson says "it's OK, I like her." That right there is enough for me to vote against her if I were a sitting Senator. But, W adds more when he notes that her religion is part of what he believes qualifies her for the position.
For a more in depth analysis of why Miers is a wholly uninspired and even dangerous choice, read Andrew. I understand Specter is being cautious and trying to keep the process going, but believe you me, I'll be writing to both my Senators urging them to reject the nomination of Harriet Miers primarily to tell this President that you will not reward cronies with important positions in government.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home